Friday, February 4, 2011

And the Gold Star Goes to . . .

ME!!    I had my one month check-up on Tuesday and I topped 6 pounds 11 ounces!  Yes, you read that correctly, almost two full pounds more than my birth weight.  Now, I’m not one to brag but that gain is impressive by any measure.  According to the internet (which is always correct) most average newborns gain about four to seven ounces per week.  So, based on the Excel spreadsheet Mommy put together to project possible weights based on a myriad of variables, I should have hit anywhere from 5 pounds 10 ounces to 6 pounds.  To say I “excelled” (yes, you may groan) at my job of gaining weight would be an understatement.  I think Wikipedia is going to have to update its newborn growth information with my new data added.  And so, I would like to give a brief acceptance speech to acknowledge this triumph.
“I am truly honored to receive the Gold Star for Weight Gain.  As a young lad, I never dreamed of achieving such a milestone, particularly since I wasn’t dreaming of anything at the time.  Who would have thought a small boy growing up in the tiny inside-the-Beltway hamlet of Greenbelt could reach such a lofty goal.  Of course, I couldn’t have done this on my own and I must thank very important people in my life who supported me on this journey.   First, I would like to thank my Daddy for the middle-of-the-night feedings that have contributed to this growth.  Next,  I have to thank Big Sis Ava for her efforts to feed me and her cheering encouragements when she sees Mommy feeding me.  And, of course, none of this would have been possible without Mommy’s yummy, high fat nectar.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.”

Diligently at work; notice the technique.
 
Another satisfying experience.  You can already see another ounce added - look closely around the chin, I think that's where it is.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellen - Colin is so sweet and appears to be growing very quickly!! Congratulations to you! Ava appears to be enjoying her role as big sister!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete