Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How I Got My Nickname

You might have wondered how I got my nickname, Button.  Not every child needs a nickname, however, Big Sis Ava was known (and still is) as "Biscuit" and Mommy and Daddy wanted to be sure to keep everything equal with us.  However, in spite of loads of suggestions (mainly within the carbohydrate family), nothing stuck until Uncle Bernie came along.


When I was born, I was definitely on the small side.  I came out a few weeks early so I didn’t have the chance to plump up with the “brown” fat.  So, when Mommy saw me she said I reminded her of her Grandfather, particularly when he didn’t wear his dentures and yawned.  The picture of my arm adds to the overall “old man” effect.



Well, Uncle Bernie, upon hearing this description, reminded Mommy and Daddy of the movie, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, based on the F. Scott Fitzgerald tale of a man born in his 80s and who then ages backwards.  And, so, Button I became!


Another nickname that was in the running was Dobby, a reminder of the house elf from the Harry Potter series.  Multiple people, unknown to each other, suggested there was a strong resemblance – you can decide for yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment