Tuesday, February 8, 2011

How I Got My Real Name

When Mommy and Daddy were trying to chose a name for me, they had a lot of help.  So many family and friends had thoughtful and . . . ahem . . .  creative suggestions.  Let me share a few . . .
·          Big Sis Ava – Baby Sister (even after she learned I was a boy), Baby Brother
·         Granny Z and Nanny – Steven, Matthew, or Steven Matthew
·         Aunts Cinse, Lisbet, and Jacque – Fergus, Magnus, Finlay, Selwyn, Declan, basically anything in the Celtic Family
·         Mr. Philip – Bucephelus, Omni, Trigger, Tiberius
·         Ms. Cathy’s Brother-in-Law – Rudder (after his dog)
·         Allie – Riley, Connley, Tyler, Jackson
·         Mommy – Henry, Ian, Sean, Evan
·         Daddy – Jason, Kyle, Quinn, Colin
Pretty quickly, Daddy narrowed his first choice down to Colin but it took Mommy some time to be swayed.  However, it did have a nice Scottish ring to it when coupled with Stuart and she slowly grew to like the name.  My middle name is for my Mommy’s daddy, Carl Emanuel.
Finally, for those who are as geeky as Mommy, here are the derivations of my names :
Colin –Gaelic – young creature and a shortened form of Nicholas
Emanuel – Hebrew – God is with us
Finally, this post is well-timed – Happy Birthday to Grandpa Carl Emanuel who would be 79 today – thanks for sharing your name.
Aunt Roseann, Grandpa Carl and Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment